Layout

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Goodbye Sweets!

All of my fears and worries from my 3-hour glucose test (that I completed last Friday morning) came true when I received a phone call from my physician, Dr. Rosado, late yesterday afternoon-I've been diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. Two of my results were abnormal, one the cut-off was 95 & I scored a 95 & the second one, the cut-off was 180 & I scored a 183. Although I've been told and read that it is one of the most common health problems of pregnancy, I am still nervous and anxious to see how this hurdle during the pregnancy will affect and/or change things, not to mention the added stressors.


I am now monitoring my glucose levels using a home glucose meter four times a day and monitoring my diet very closely. I will be referred to a dietician for further recommendations/instructions on my diet. Please pray for Aaron as he is a little bummed about all of the favorite comfort foods I will no longer be buying as I will be too tempted if they are in the house! Dr. Rosado informed me that I will begin non-stress tests at 32 weeks, so in about 4 weeks, once a week. She also informed me that I will go for additional sonograms as well.

I ask for your continued prayers for the health of myself and the baby throughout the remainder of the pregnancy.
-Pray that I am able to regulate my blood sugar levels so that I will not have to give myself injections. -Pray that the baby is able to maintain a healthy, normal weight so that we will not have to end up with a difficult delivery or c-section.
-Pray that myself and the baby's blood sugar levels are able to stablize after delivery.
-Pray for my ability to avoid food temptations, such as all of the sweets-easter peanut butter eggs-yummy.





1 comment:

  1. Praying for you & baby! This is a rough hurdle, but you can do it! I'm hoping that since your sugar levels were close to the cu-off, that you won't have much of a struggle to keep it at bay.

    A few of my friends had GD in pregnancy & most were able to monitor what they ate (1 of them had success with about increasing garlic, cinnamon & huckleberry intake--or drink teas with cinnamon/huckleberry. She's a super natropath to say the least). Maybe something to talk to the doctor about too. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete